WOMEN

The cross country teams wearing the purple and white faced their first NESCAC competition last weekend, with the women traveling to Williams for the Purple Valley Invitational, while the men making the trek to the Wesleyan Invitational.

Once again, Keri Lambert ’13 led the women’s team to a solid finish in the 6K event, as Amherst came in sixth place in a 15 team field.

MEN

The Amherst cross country squad made the short trip to the UMass Minutemen Invitational on Saturday to open the 2012 campaign, and both teams turned out performances to build upon against very strong competition.

The men’s team came in fourth place overall out of five teams in a field that included two Division I programs and a Division II program. In fact, the efforts of Greg Turissini ’15 and his teammates were almost enough to beat the Univ. of Connecticut for third place, but the Huskies just edged out the men’s squad.

In sports, especially in Major League Baseball, there is often a battle raging in the minds of every front office and in the fans that follow their teams closely: Should sports decisions be made with your head or your heart? From a purely rational point of view, it seems ridiculous that men and women whose jobs center around constructing the best team possible would potentially jeopardize the interests of the team for the sake of emotions. I mean, isn’t the mantra of father figures and Little League coaches everywhere that there’s no crying in baseball?

MEN

The Amherst cross-country program seems primed to make a leap forward this year, as both the men and women look to build on successful 2011 campaigns to achieve new heights in 2012.

The men’s squad exceeded all expectations last season, shedding the ‘rebuilding’ label that had been attached to them after the loss of two consecutive senior classes, which included the remaining Jeffs who raced in the 2009 NCAA Championship.

Men
Last spring proved a fruitful one for both the men’s and women’s golf teams, bringing a slew of top five finishes and even tournament victories.

Men

Women’s Basketball
The defending NCAA Champion women’s basketball team began this season right where they left off last year: winning. The Lady Jeffs faced a stiff challenge this season, as they lost three important members of the Class of 2011, but they looked to their depth to carry them to success this year.

Pages