Women’s Basketball Sets NCAA Record, 100 Straight Home Wins

After clinching five consecutive Final Four berths from 2009-13 and winning the 2009 national championship, Amherst has added a unique accolade to their resume. With their Nov. 23 defeat of Baruch, the purple and white made history as the second team in NCAA basketball history, including both men’s and women’s programs, to win 100-straight home games. The Jeffs also passed the NCAA women’s record for most consecutive home games won, previously held by UConn.

Sophomore Ali Doswell led the team in that contest with a career-high 25 points on 9-of-15 shooting and knocked down 4-of-8 from three-point land. Her sister, Meredith Doswell ’17, and Marley Giddins ’16 dropped 12 and 16 points, respectively. Giddins also led the team with nine rebounds. Though Baruch hung tough in the waning minutes, she would combine with Meredith Doswell for four-for-four shooting from the free throw line late in the contest, increasing the lead to ten. The Jeffs held that margin to win 73-63.

Amherst shot 57.2 percent (25-53) from the floor and 78.3 percent (18-23) from the line while holding Baruch to 38.8 percent (26-67) shooting and 60.0 percent (9-15) from the charity stripe.

The Jeffs returned to action against Emmanuel, topping the hosts 72-61. Improving to a perfect 4-0, Amherst relied on near-perfect shooting from the line down the stretch, scoring 14 of their final 16 of the contest at the line.

Despite excellent play from Saints senior Jennifer Bujnowski, who chipped in 23 points, the Jeffs relied on team play with four players finishing in double figures. Giddins posted a double-double of her own, with 15 points and a career-high 16 rebounds to complement Doswell’s 16 points, five rebounds and four assists. Cheyenne Pritchard ’16 and Hannah Peterson ’17 followed with 12 points each.

The Jeffs took control, maintaining a double digit lead for the majority of the second half on the back of 5-of-11 shooting from behind the arc. Plaugued by foul trouble with three players each picking up their fourth, Amherst’s Pritchard knocked down a pair of free throws off an Emmanual bench technical to hold off a late surge by the Saints looking to take advantage.

Second-ranked Amherst will host Eastern Connecticut State University on Thursday, Dec. 4 in non-conference action as they look to build on their early success.