Women’s Basketball Continues to Dominate, Picks up Two Weekend Wins Over Conn. College and Wesleyan
Rob Mattson
Megan Robertson ’15 continues to lead Amherst women’s basketball this season, surpassing the 200 career blocked shots mark last Saturday.

Two Connecticut-based colleges came to LeFrak this past weekend to take on the Amherst women’s basketball team, and two Connecticut-based colleges were sent home with a loss. The Jeffs come out of the weekend with two crucial wins, one against Connecticut College on Friday evening and one against Wesleyan on Saturday afternoon.

Friday evening was a team effort as three Jeffs scored in double digits. Ali Doswell ’17 provided the first spark for Amherst, scoring 8 of her 14 points in the first half. Sophomore Meredith Doswell and junior Marley Giddins followed close behind with 12 points each on the game.

While sophomore Elizabeth Malman of Conn. looked to pick up the Camels offensively with 15 points, it would ultimately not be enough. The Jeffs’ offense was supplemented by outstanding rebounding, led by first-year Hannah Hackley’s nine boards. Amherst out-rebounded Conn. 50-36, ensuring the home court win.

While Saturday also proved to be a team effort, senior Megan Robertson stole the show as she reached 200 blocked shots total for her career.

This accomplishment is tacked on to the 1,000 points she has already scored and 700 rebounds she has already pulled down in her career. Her incredible play helped to shut down the Cardinals on Saturday as she scored eight points. Giddins lead the scoring with 10 points, pulled down 11 rebounds, and blocked six shots.

Amherst’s defense also highlighted the day, as they prevented every single Wesleyan player from reaching double figures.
The offense also got started early, jumping out to a 37-17 lead heading into the intermission. The second half would prove to be more interesting, but not enough for Wesleyan.

Amherst’s shooting percentages were uncharacteristically low from the floor with 25.4 percent as well as from the 3-point line with 17.4 percent, they overcame this deficit at the foul line, shooting 81.8 percent. The Cardinals’ shooting percentages were even lower across the board and they went home with a loss of 52-33.

The Jeffs are now 20-2 on the year and look to finish out their regular season this week home against Middlebury on Sunday and on the road against Wesleyan again on Tuesday.

As post season tournaments rapidly approach, the team looks to finish strong and end on a high note, as the Jeffs currently stand at third in the NESCAC behind undefeated Tufts and Bowdoin.