Women’s Basketball Dominates on Senior Day Celebration
Peter Connolly '18
Meredith Doswell ’17 averages 2.5 assists per game this season.

The Amherst women’s basketball team celebrated their seniors’ careers this past Sunday against Middlebury. Senior Megan Robertson lit up LeFrak, scoring 14 points, pulling down eight rebounds and blocking six shots. Fellow senior Taylor Smith knocked down the first 3-pointer of the game to help lead the Jeffs to victory.

“I think this was one of the most fun games we’ve had all season; not only because it was senior day, but because we played well and we enjoyed playing basketball,” Smith said.

Sophomore Ali Doswell scored 12 points, and classmate Jamie Renner pulled down six rebounds while also dishing out four assists to supplement Robertson’s efforts. The game was back and fourth in the first 20 minutes of play, until Ali Doswell hit two from the floor and one from downtown just before the half to send the Jeffs into the locker room on a high note.

Riding Doswell’s moment, the team pulled ahead after the half and eventually won the game 61-33.

“This was the kind of game we needed to have going into the post season where things are going to get tougher; we need to remember how to have fun and enjoy ourselves when playing,” Smith said.

Going in to the postseason, the Jeffs have earned the third seed in the 2015 NESCAC women’s basketball tournament with a 10-2 NESCAC record. The defending champions, Tufts, earned the No. 1 seed with a perfect 10-0 record in the NESCAC and Bowdoin (9-1) earned their highest seed in six years at number two.

Tufts and Bowdoin account for Amherst’s two NESCAC losses this season, but in order to have a shot at redemption in the tournament, Amherst must first take down sixth-seeded Colby College on Saturday at 3 p.m. in LeFrak.

This game is bound to be a tough one, as Colby gave Amherst a run for their money at the beginning of the month only losing by nine to the Jeffs. First, however, the Jeffs will finish out their regular season this week on the road at Wesleyan.