Women’s Golf Opens Season With Strong Showing At NYU Fall Invitational
Amherst Athletics
Women’s golf began the season at the NYU Invitational last weekend.

The Amherst College women’s golf team kicked off its season with a fourth-placed finish in a field of 12 teams at the two-day NYU Fall Invitational last weekend. Led by an impressive debut from first-year Kate Weiss, Amherst posted a team score of 642 at the par-72 Spook Rock Golf Course.

Weiss paced the squad, finishing tied for eighth, with a 36-hole score of 156. The first-year started with a one-over 73 in the first round on Saturday, good for the second-best individual score of the day. Weiss then posted an 83 on Sunday to cap her weekend.

“I think this weekend was a great first showing for our team,” co-captain Devyn Gardner ’16 said. “We all feel really positive about Saturday and while Sunday didn’t go quite as well there were a lot of good takeaways.”

Zoe Wong ’18 finished second amongst Jeff golfers. She carded a two-day score of 159 (80-79), good for 13th overall. Katie Rosenberg ’19 came next, finishing tied for 19th in the field with a 162 (82-20).

Gardner tied for 21st overall with a score of 165 (80-85) for the purple and white. First-year Maggie Schoeller ’19 posted a 2-day score of 180, and co-captain Sarah Ressler ’16 carded a 189.

“It was fantastic to see the first-years step up, and we are so excited that they are already making a big contribution to the team,” Gardner said. “I think this was a great preview of what we are capable of this season.”

The Jeffs return to the course next weekend for the two-day Mount Holyoke College Invitational on Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 26 and 27. At the tournament last year, Jamie Gracie ’17 posted a two-day total of 148 (76-72), claiming first-place and pacing Amherst to a sixth place team finish.

With Gracie abroad for the semester, Wong, who tied for eighth overall last year, hopes to lead Amherst as they look to improve on last year’s finish.