Gardner Leads Women’s Golf to Second Place Finish at Middlebury Invitational

The Amherst College women’s golf team placed second in a field of twelve teams at the Middlebury College Women’s Invitational last weekend, Oct. 3 and 4.

Competing at the Ralph Myrhe Golf Course in Middlebury, Vermont, Amherst placed three golfers in the top 10: co-captain Devyn Gardner ’16, Zoe Wong ’18 and Kate Weiss ’19. All members of the team lowered their scores on day two, recording a team score of 656 (336+320).

Gardner led the Jeffs and tied for the individual title. Gardner led off with an 84 on Saturday before shooting a spectacular 76 on Sunday to record a two-day score of 160.

“Devyn had an awesome day two to end up on top of the leader board and help lead us to a second place finish, which was a really exciting way to close out the weekend,” co-captain Sarah Ressler ’16 said.

Wong finished only one stroke behind her teammate in fifth place, with a two-day score of 161 (82+79).

Amherst’s first-year class continued their strong opening campaign. Weiss tied for seventh place after carding a 163 (83+80).

Katie Rosenberg ’19 and Maggie Schoeller ’19 carded a 172 (87+85) and 181 (92+89) to finish tied for 26th and tied for 37th, respectively.

Ressler also competed as an individual, carding an 89 on day one followed by an 85 on day two to finish tied for 32nd place.
“I am super proud of how the team played this weekend,” Ressler said. “Conditions were tough on day one and some of the scores were high, but on day two we really fought hard and shaved 16 strokes off our day one total. It was great to see us all come together as a team and rally back.”

The team returns to the course this Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 10 and 11, for the Williams College Invitational.

In a field of 16 teams, the Jeffs finished in eighth place at the Williams tournament last year. However, after logging their highest finish of the year, the purple and white have the momentum and the confidence to improve on last year’s performance.