Women’s Squash Competes Against Tough In-Conference Opponents
Rob Mattson
Women’s squash looks to continue their season by impressing at Yale University in the B Division National Championship Tournament.

The Amherst women’s squash team survived their toughest week yet as their season reaches its latter half. They enter their next competition with a respectable 9-5 record against some of the country’s top squads. On senior day, the purple and white cruised against the Lyons of Mount Holyoke en route to a perfect 9-0 victory. Throughout their dominant performance, no player lost more than one match, and six different women managed to secure pristine 3-0 wins.
“We have a deep ladder, with really talented players all the way down the lineup from spots one through nine,” senior captain Khushy Aggarwal said. “With five seniors graduating, we’re really looking to make a strong impact this year.”

With the purple and white securing their 16th rank, they also clinch the chance to compete for a B Division national title, their experience and leadership have driven them time and time again.

After the excitement and success of their senior day matchups, the Amherst women were ready to take on the best of the NESCAC in a matchup at Trinity.
A win against No. 5 in the league, Bowdoin, would have protected the team’s postseason hopes and send them to the NESCAC semifinals. The Polar Bears proved to be a formidable opponent, and highlights included the gritty play of Haley McAtee ’18, who narrowly won her set, 3-2. Amherst proved to be too much, and fought for their first win of the tournament, 6-3.

They then tok on the host and top-ranked Bantams, who have been perfect in the NESCAC this season. Amherst suffered a 7-2 loss, with Taryn Clary ’16 and Mae Cromwell ’18 both netting the team’s only victories in 3-1 wins.

The women were back on the court the following day to compete against a strong Middlebury team who beat the purple and white 6-3. Although their NESCAC tournament hopes concluded on a low note, Amherst continues their season at Yale on Friday, Feb. 19. Their competition is yet to be determined, but with some time to regroup, the team hopes to get their season back on track.