Women’s Track & Field Sets Three Personal Records at ECAC Meet
Amherst Athletics
Victoria Hensley ‘16 bettered her own school record by nearly 0.2 seconds.

The Amherst women’s track and field team impressed in the ECAC championship meet this weekend at the Ocean Breeze Atlantic Complex in Staten Island, New York. The purple and white, despite posting an overall 31st -place finish out of 50 teams, set several personal records after numerous strong individual performances.

Most notably, Victoria Hensley ’16 bettered the school record she set just last week in the 400-meter run with a time of 58.21, two-tenths of a second better than her previous record. This time placed the senior captain solidly in seventh overall at the ECAC meet, while first-year runner Julia Asin finished right behind her at 12th overall with a time of 59.24.

The two 400-meter runners helped propel the purple and white to a ninth-place finish in the 4x400-meter relay with the help of sophomore Danielle Griffin and Leonie Rauls. Their time of 4:01.31 ties the team for fourth in Amherst indoor history and marks their best time in the event since 2009.

In the mid-distance events, Rauls continued to impress, finishing fifth in the 1,000-meter run and missing a personal record by only .01 seconds with a time of 2:59.66.

Senior Betsey Black shattered her previous personal record in the 5,000-meter run with a time of 18:22.46, earning her ninth overall.

Finally, in the field events, Abbey Asare-Bediako ’18 placed sixth and set a new personal record in the triple jump with a distance of 11.08 meters, .20 meters further than her previous record.