Women’s Hockey Dominates Out-Of-Conference Foe in Light Week of Action

The Amherst women’s ice hockey team claimed a strong 4-0 win this past Wednesday, Feb. 1 against Salem State, and had the rest of the weekend off from play.

The purple and white came out strong on Wednesday, scoring three goals in the first period. Eight minutes into the game, Jocelyn Hunyadi ’19 took a pass from Anne Malloy ’20 and found the top corner of the goal to put Amherst up 1-0.

Just two minutes later, Molly Connolly ’17 one-timed another pass from Malloy to score her first goal of the season. The purple and white continued to dominate possession and with 1:31 remaining in the first period, Katelyn Pantera ’19 scored Amherst’s third goal off of a rebound courtesy of Caitlyn Ryan ’17. The second period was scoreless, although Amherst outshot Salem State 19-1.

Connolly found the back of the net again in the third period on an Amherst power play. Sarah Melanson ’20 got the assist for her first collegiate point.

Caroline Booraem ’20 made her first collegiate start in goal, shutting out the Vikings with 12 saves on the game. The purple and white outshot Salem State 54-12.

The purple and white took the ice again on Tuesday, Feb. 7 on the road against NESCAC rival Trinity.

After two scoreless periods that saw Amherst dominate offensively, outshooting the Bantams by nearly double, Pantera found the back of the net with nine minutes left to play. This goal opened the floodgates for the purple and white, as Brenna Sullivan ’18 scored three minutes later on an assist from Malloy. Amherst held off the Trinity offense through the final minutes of the game with two saved goals from Sabrina Dobbins ’18. With this win, the Amherst women move to 10-5-4 on the season and 5-3-4 in conference play.

The purple and white will return to the ice on Feb. 10-11, when Amherst will play two games away at NESCAC foes Hamilton.