Women’s Hockey Clinches Two Wins over NESCAC Rivals Williams

This past week, the Amherst women’s ice hockey team had an exciting slate of games against two formidable foes, Williams and Plattsburgh State, ultimately going an impressive 2-0-1 on the week.
In their first game against Plattsburgh State, the Mammoths went down early. Cardinal goals in both the first and second periods made the outcome of the game seem bleak until a crucial power play goal by senior forward Emma Griese.
Ten minutes into the third, Griese capitalized on a shot by Jocelyn Hunyadi ’19 and slotted the puck into the back of the net. Just five minutes later, senior captain Alex Toupal used her speed to sail toward the net and fire a deadly accurate shot to tie it all up. Although Amherst surged forward un search of a wining goal, neither team managed a goal and the game ended in an exhilarating 2-2 tie.
Following this well-earned draw, the Mammoths were more than prepared for their next opponent, archrival Williams.
Hunyadi continued recent run of form, forcing a turnover just one minute into play and lazering the puck into the netting for an early lead. Junior Miriam Eickhoff added a second goal for Amherst during a man-up situation, off an assist by Toupal.
In the second period, the Mammoths scored yet again thanks to an Eliza Laycock ’20 tally assisted by Toupal. Although Williams managed to pull one goal back, it proved to be too little too late, and Amherst left the ice with a comfortable 3-1 win.
In next day’s rematch, both offenses came out firing in the first period, with each team scoring two goals apiece. Although the Ephs opened up the scoring less than three minutes into the first, Toupal quickly responded with a tally off an assist from junior Katie Savage.
Although Williams regained the lead less than two minutes after Toupal’s first goal, first-year Emma Flynn tied the game again off of a pass by Toupal in the waning minutes of the first stanza of play.
Amherst used a stellar second period to gain the advantage over Williams, with a goal each from first-year Mia DelRosso and Toupal giving the Mammoths an insurmountable 4-2 lead.
Toupal capped off her hat trick in the third period with her NESCAC-leading 11th goal of the season and placed final nail in the Ephs’ coffin.
Although the Ephs responded with a power play goal to cut the deficit to 5-3, Amherst still emerged with the dominant weekend sweep of its rivals.
With this week’s results, Amherst now boasts an overall record of 11-5-3 and 7-3-2 in NESCAC play. The Mammoths will return to the ice on Wednesday, Jan. 31 for a home game against Plymouth State.