Women’s Tennis Ready to Rebound Following Heartbreak
Issue   |   Thu, 08/28/2014 - 17:35

Riding high on a 22-win season, women’s tennis is more prepared than ever entering their 2014 fall campaign. Last season, the Jeffs won their eighth NESCAC Championship in the last 10 years. Earning an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament, the Jeffs went on to defeat Endicott, MIT, Carnegie Mellon and Williams, before falling to Emory in the National Championship match.

“Nationals was probably the most intense thing I’ve ever been through,” said junior captain Sue Ghosh. “It was such a great experience, and I’m so glad I could spend my last days with the tennis seniors in that setting.”

Amherst graduates one of the most decorated senior classes in the class of 2014, including All-Americans Jordan Brewer and Gabby Devlin, who captured their third NCAA Div. III Women’s Tennis Doubles Championship in the spring. All-American Jen Newman also leaves a big void in the Amherst line-up.

Despite graduating 10 seniors entering the 2014-15 season, Amherst still returns a stellar line up. Led by lone senior Safi Aly, the team will turn to the junior class in Ghosh, Lara Min, Sarah Monteagudo, Rebecca Pol and Maddy Sung.

Megan Adamo, Simone Aisiks, Claire Carpenter, Lola Fadulu and Amanda Zalameda round out the sophomore class, and the Jeffs have four incoming first-years they are eager to introduce.

Looking to step up as the top doubles tandem this fall, Aly and Monteagudo return from a stellar season, finishing off NESCAC’s with an 8-5 win over Williams in the finals. Also stepping up this year, Ghosh looks to set the tone in singles play coming off a strong sophomore campaign in the no. 4 spot. Monteagudo also returns with a number of individual victories under her belt at the no. 6 spot.

Tournament play this fall begins at the ITA Tournament hosted at Williams on Sept. 26. The team’s biggest match of the fall will be the dual-match versus Williams at home on Oct. 11.

“The team is pumped, and I’m sure the energy and excitement from last season will be carried over to this upcoming fall,” Ghosh said.