Men’s Golf Places Fifth Out of 17 Teams at Hampton College Invitational
Rob Mattson
Dan Langa ’18 placed fourth overall this weekend, finishing with a 171.

The Amherst College men’s golf team placed fifth out of 17 teams competing in the Hampton Inn Collegiate Invitational held at the Allendale Country Club located in North Dartmouth, Massachusetts on April 10 and 11.

Rhode Island College came in first place with a score of 641 while Endicott College and Salem State University finished tied for second with scores of 650. Babson College came in fourth with a two-day combined score of 659, while Amherst finished with a score of 662 to round out the top five finishers.

The Jeffs shot a team 328 on day one and then a 334 on day two. Senior Jarvis Sill led Amherst, shooting a 79 on the first day of play and then improving to a 77 on day two. Sill earned fifth place overall in the tournament with his combined score of 156.

James Line ’16 followed for Amherst shooting a combined 166 (79-87), while Liam Fine ’17 followed a mere three strokes behind at 169 (85-84).

First-year Dan Langa was Amherst’s fourth finisher, shooting a 171 with an 85 on day one and an 86 on day two.
Finally, senior Josh Moser rounded out the top five for the Jeffs with a score of 175, starting with a 88 on day one and improving to 87 on day two.

“Unfortunately, the weather the first day made the conditions quite difficult,” Liam Fine ’17 said. “While the weather improved on day two, our team struggled to combine our ball striking and short games to produce a quality round.”

Amherst will return to play this coming weekend, competing at the Trinity College Invitational to be held at the Indian Hill Country Club. Saturday’s tee-off is set for 1 p.m., while Sunday’s action will begin at 11 a.m.

“In any event, we are excited now that our season has begun and are optimistic about what our season has in store,” Fine added.