Men’s Golf Claims Second at Little Three Championships

The Amherst College men’s golf team finished their season with a second-place performance at the Little Three championships held on Wednesday, April 29 at Lyman Orchards Gold Course in Middlefield, Conn.

Competing in a 36-hole format consisting of alternating shot in the morning and match play in the afternoon, the Jeffs defeated Wesleyan 9-3 but fell 12-0 to Williams. Williams also defeated Wesleyan by a score of 12-0.

Amherst emerged from the morning’s alternating shot action with a 3-1 lead over Wesleyan and a 2.5-1.5 lead over Williams. The third pairing of James Line ’17 and Liam Fine ’16 paced the Jeffs by claiming early victories over both Williams and Wesleyan with several holes to spare. Amherst also earned points out of the second and fourth pairings against both of their competitors.

First-year Sam Procter paced the Jeffs in the afternoon’s match play out of the fifth position, claiming a 7-5 victory over Wesleyan as well as a 1-up victory over Williams. Dan Langa ’18 and Brandon Brown ’15 each added comfortable victories over Wesleyan and close defeats to the Ephs.

“Looking ahead to next year, we are excited and optimistic that things will turn around in the fall. With a few promising first years on their way, we are hoping that they will provide a jump start for us in September,” Fine said. “I am confident also in our returning players. I think that a summer of practice will prepare us for a solid season next year. I think the biggest thing for us to be mindful of next year will be keeping our emotions in check and our mental games strong.”