Building Bridges Through Math and Spanish
Issue   |   Fri, 05/22/2015 - 10:52
Photo courtesy of Zalia Rojas '15

When I first met Zalia Rojas, I was attending my first practice for Amherst College’s Gospel Choir, Resurrect. Though she sang brilliantly in the alto section, what really made her stand out were the witty comments she made during our down time. As the semester progressed, it became clear to me that Rojas was more than just funny jokes. She is a generous figure that everyone could count on. Although we weren’t able to form a deeper relationship before Rojas’ time at Amherst was over, she has positively influenced my life in notable ways. Of all of the small things I’ve learned from simply observing Rojas in social settings, one thing has remained true: Zalia Rojas is one of the kindest people you will ever meet.

Culture Shock

Born to immigrant parents from the Dominican Republic, Rojas had a childhood that was centered on those that shared her heritage. Growing up in Lawrence, Massachusetts in a neighborhood nicknamed “The Complex,” Rojas was surrounded by children just like her — they had immigrant parents who spoke primarily Spanish in the home, and they had hair that was just as curly as hers.

It wasn’t until she began attending high school at The Pingree School, a private school in South Hamilton, Massachusettes, that she became fully exposed to people with experiences distinct from her own. About one hour away from her home in Lawrence, she learned at Pingree that the way she was raised wasn’t congruent with the upbringings of everyone in the world. Many people dismissed “The Complex” as a dangerous place, but to Rojas and her two brothers (one older and one younger), it was and still is their home.

Initially, Pingree was a big culture shock for Rojas. She went from attending a charter school, where most of the students in the classroom were Dominican, to attending a private school, where most of the students were white and wealthy.
“Never before had people been impressed and intrigued by how curly my hair was,” Rojas said. However, despite the initial culture shock, Rojas was and still is grateful that she decided to attend the school. Rojas’ time at Pingree was defined by her close relationships with her teachers. In fact, she is still in contact with some of these teachers today.

“A lot of Amherst alums are involved as well, as either teachers or parents of children that attend both schools,” Rojas said.

Rojas credits strong Amherst alumni community at Pingree as one of the main reasons she came to Amherst.

“They brought me to all of the college visits, they paid for my applications,” Rojas said. “They showed me that Amherst was definitely an option I had for college. They were the best.”

A Passion for Math

When Rojas first arrived on Amherst’s campus, she had no intention of majoring in math. Hearing that today is shocking for everyone who knows the math and Spanish double major.
“I knew I would take at least one math class, just because I enjoyed it in high school and was good at it,” Rojas said. In her first year at Amherst, Rojas met Professor Danielle Benedetto, who taught her intermediate calculus. Although Rojas was hesitant to take more than a few math classes, Benedetto knew better.

“I knew immediately that she was math major material,” Benedetto said. “She was incredibly bright, sharp and kind. She explored problem-solving in such a thoughtful way. I encouraged her to take more math classes, as well as consider the math major.”
After she took a few more math courses, the decision to major in math was easy for Rojas.

“When I took discrete mathematics with Professor [Robert] Benedetto, math started to mean something to me,” Rojas said. “I was actually learning to write and fully understand proofs which was amazing to me.” Soon after, Rojas was chosen to be a teaching assistant in calculus, helping to support younger math students.

In order to further her mathematical skill, Rojas applied to be a part of a summer math program in Hawaii. “Just being able to get there is still one of my biggest accomplishments,” Rojas said. “The research we did was difficult, but I think actually getting there was the hardest part. That program changed my life in so many ways. I even met one of my best friends while I was there.”

However, Rojas’ time here at Amherst has not only been a time of discovery but also a time of reflection. For instance, something that always seems to come up again and again for Rojas is the question, “why us?” It was always curious for her that only her immediate family has come to America, while the rest of her family has generally stayed in the Dominican Republic.

“I still don’t really know why it was just us, but I have tried to make the most of it,” Rojas said.

Lending A Hand

When I asked Rojas why she decided to double major in both math and Spanish, her answer was almost immediate.

“I’ve spoken Spanish my entire life — it’s what we speak at home,” she said. “When I got to Amherst, I wanted to make sure that I was able to preserve my Dominican heritage in some way, and majoring in Spanish has done that for me. I’ve recently been thinking about how I can somehow connect my majors and do something that involves both of them. I’ve noticed that most students who only speak Spanish aren’t taking upper-level math courses, because they’re not translated well. I want to use my math skills and my ability to speak Spanish to help students who are struggling because of the language barrier.”

Rojas’ altruistic nature has not been lost on her closest friends.

“Not only am I consistently floored by her commitment to academics, but also by her commitment to making everyone around her a better person,” Destinee Mentor-Richards ’15 said about Rojas. “I can honestly say my Amherst experience and my experience as a math major would not have been complete without Zalia’s support and presence in my life these past few years.”

“She genuinely cares for her friends and people around her, and that’s what inspires me the most about her,” Rojas’s friend Nifasha Rusibamayila ’15 said. “I am very grateful and hopeful knowing that when I graduate from Amherst, I will still have her as a friend who I can always count on.”

Her friends note that Rojas’ unwavering commitment extends to all aspects of her social and academic life.

“Zalia is one of the smartest people I know, but more than that, she dedicates herself completely to everything that she does,” Nicole Felix ’15 said. “If she can’t devote herself fully to something, she doesn’t do it. Nothing can distract her from her goals, and she does everything with great humility. She has a quiet strength, and leads by example. Her academic accomplishments are outstanding, but it’s her humility, her soft-spoken wisdom, her willingness to listen to all of our crazy problems and her desire to simply love people that make her stand out.”

“She’s selfless and always willing to help,” her friend Sheba Brown ‘15 said. “Whatever you need she will try to give because that is simply who she is.”

What’s Next?

When asked if she would change anything about her past four years here, Rojas said, “I wish I had explored the area around Amherst more.” Other than that, Rojas is content with what she has done so far at Amherst, and she has every right to be.
In fact, this past semester, Rojas was awarded the college’s first ever Math Fellow position. Rojas will work in the Quantitative Center, helping students in upper-level mathematics courses. Not only is Rojas thrilled to be able to help, but everyone who knows her is thrilled that she will be around for another year. After her fellowship is over, Rojas hopes to start pursuing her dream to help the disadvantaged immigrant students who love math just as much as she does, but aren’t able to fulfill their dreams.

Anchor
Comments
tommy hilfiger ... (not verified) says:
Sun, 04/17/2016 - 14:46

Itˇs really a cool and helpful piece of information. I am glad that you just shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.
tommy hilfiger jacka martina http://www.guesthousetornedalen.se/house.asp?guest=tommy-hilfiger-jacka-...