Men’s Golf Wraps Up Fall Season While Women’s Golf Finishes Fourth

Men

The Amherst men’s golf team had a strong showing this past weekend at the 2015 ECAC New England Division III championship, finishing with a score of 648 over the two-day tournament.

This performance earned the purple and white sixth place out of 14 teams. Middlebury placed first in the tournament while fellow NESCAC competitor Trinity took second place overall. The Jeffs finished in third place among the competing NESCAC teams.

Leading the way for the Jeffs was sophomore Danny Langa, who finished with a 154 on the weekend. This two-day score earned him a share of 13th place overall at the tournament.

Finishing in second place for the Jeffs was fellow sophomore Sam Proctor. He scored a 158 over the two-day tournament, which was good for 23rd overall.

First-year Jack Burlison was seven strokes behind him, carding a 165 to place in 33rd place on the weekend.

James Line ’16 finished in 46th place with a weekend-score of 171.

Rounding out the top four for the Jeffs was sophomore Justin Henriksen. He finished with a 173, which earned him 48th place overall in the tournament.

With the conclusion of the 2015 ECAC championships, the Jeffs’ fall season comes to a close.

They will resume action in the spring and hope to use the strengths spotlighted in their fall season to propel them to more victory in 2016.

Women

For their second-to-last tournament of the fall season, the Amherst women’s golf team traveled to Williamstown in order to participate in the Williams Fall Invitational.

The Jeffs put in a strong performance, finishing fourth in the 15-team field.

Williams took first place at the tournament, New York University finished in second, and Middlebury finished in third. The Jeffs final score of 672 earned them third place out of the six NESCAC schools competing at the tournament.

The Jeffs’ good result at the tournament was largely a result of the underclassmen on the team stepping up in a big way.
First-year Katie Rosenberg led the way with a score of 155, which earned her second place overall.

Behind her was fellow first-year Kate Weiss, who finished in 25th place with a score of 170 on the weekend.

Right behind these two first-years was senior co-captain Sarah Ressler, who shot 172 on the weekend to earn a share of 28th place.

Zoe Wong ’18 and Maggie Schoeller ’19 rounded out the top five for the Jeffs with scores of 175 and 178.

These scores earned them 37th place and 41st place, respectively.

The purple and white finish their fall season next weekend at the Wellesley Invitational.

The Jeffs finished in fifth place at last year’s Wellesley Invitational. Their main contributor in 2014 was junior Jamie Gracie, who is now abroad. They’ll look for the experienced senior leadership and underclassmen to step up and fill the void in their final tournament of the fall.