On Saturday, April 20, Amherst traveled to Williamstown, Massachusetts to take on No. 9 ranked Williams. The purple and white put up an admirable fight, but ended up suffering a heartbreaking 5-4 loss at the hands of their archrivals.
The purple and white put on a promising performance on the singles courts, winning three of six after picking up victories on courts two, three and four.

On the number two singles court, first-year Zach Bessette outlasted his opponent in three sets (6-3, 6-7(0-3), 6-0) in order to earn a victory for the purple and white.

This past weekend, the men’s track team competed at home in the NESCAC championships. Out of the 11-team field, Amherst finished sixth with a final score of 36.

Finishing in front of the purple and white were Williams, Tufts, Middlebury, Bates and Bowdoin.
As he has all season, sophomore Mohamed Hussein impressed in the 5,000-meter run. He finished the race in 14:50.98 to claim third place out of 30 runners from all around the NESCAC.

The Amherst men’s tennis team got its season off to a great start this past week, going 8-2 over the course of their spring break trip to California. The team started off their week of matches on Sunday, March 13, when they faced off against both Vassar College and Washington College. Amherst set the tone for the week by managing to cleanly sweep both teams, each with a final score line of 9-0.

Fresh off their 15th appearance in the NESCAC championship tournament, the Amherst women’s lacrosse team is primed to succeed in the 2016 season. The squad is comprised of a mix of veterans and new faces, with 18 players returning to the team from last year. These upperclassmen will look to guide and rely upon the 10 new players joining the purple and white on the field for the first time.

Over Thanksgiving break, the Amherst women’s swimming and diving team got off to a great start to the season, defeating both Colby and Wesleyan to begin its campaign 2-0. Against Colby on Saturday Nov. 21, Amherst finished the meet with a final score of 149-108.

The purple and white outright won 12 events, including both individual and relay events. Amherst started off the meet in strong form, winning the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:50.58. Swimming in this event were Emily Hyde ’16, Destin Groff ’17, Sarah Conklin ’16 and Stephanie Moriarty ’18.

Last weekend, the Amherst College women’s cross country team traveled to Waterford, Connecticut to compete in the NCAA Northeast Regional meet. They came in seventh place out of the field of 56 teams at the event, with a final point total of 226.
Savanna Gornisiewicz ’17 put in yet another strong performance and finished first for Amherst and 18th overall with a time of 22:05. While she improved upon her time from last year, she was not able to improve upon her ninth-place result from 2014.

Last weekend, women’s cross country traveled to Williamstown to compete in the 2015 ECAC Championship.

The Jeffs put in a strong performance, impressively finishing in sixth out of the field of 46 teams from the Eastern College Athletic Conference with a final point total of 157. Finishing ahead of Amherst were Tufts, University of New England, Wiliams, Middlebury and NYU.

Sophomore Nicky Roberts led Amherst with a time of 23:41, and earned 12th place overall out of the field of 311 runners. This result marks her best finish of her two years on the cross country team.

Pages