Women’s Hockey Remains Undefeated, Sweeps Weekend Play Against Trinity
Rob Mattson
Alex Toupal ’18 earned NESCAC player of the week honors as she helped lift Amherst to two wins this weekend.

The Amherst College women’s hockey team extended its record to 4-0 last weekend after a double header win over the reigning NESCAC champions, Trinity.

Sophomore Alex Toupal was named NESCAC player of the week after helping Amherst advance 2-0 on Friday, Dec. 4, and 6-3 on Saturday, Dec. 5.

Toupal tallied five of Amherst’s total eight goals last weekend, scoring both goals in the 2-0 win and adding a hat trick in Saturday’s game. She took 12 shots in Friday’s contest and another 10 on Saturday.

The first matchup was a scoreless game for 40 minutes before Toupal netted her first goal. The first two periods were back and forth between the purple and white and the Bantams.

It wasn’t until the beginning of the third period that the silence was broken. Toupal added the first goal of the game just 21 seconds into the third period. First-years Jamie McNamara and Miriam Eickoff assisted the player of the week.

At the end of the game, Trinity pulled the goalie in an attempt to even the score, but Amherst managed to find the back of the net again. With two seconds to play in regulation, Toupal netted a second goal to seal the win for the purple and white.

The Amherst defense and goalie Sabrina Dobbins ’18 were able to hold off the Bantams for the rest of the game.

Dobbins added her second shutout of the season following last week’s NESCAC player of the week accolades. Offensively, the purple and white held the advantage in shots, 36-29, and face-offs, 30-26.

Amherst carried its momentum from the Friday night win into the Saturday game. Junior Lynndy Smith scored the first goal of the game less than five minutes into play. The purple and white held off the Bantams for the rest of the period and entered the first intermission with a 1-0 lead.

The visitors wasted no time in the second stanza. Toupal found the back of the net just 28 seconds after the break. Amherst extended the lead, 2-0.

The Bantams didn’t waste much time either. Trinity added a goal of its own, its first of the series, a few minutes later to cut the deficit by one.

It seemed as though the game would be tight heading into the third period. Just 22 seconds before the break, however, Erin Martin ’16 put another Amherst goal on the board. At the close of the second period, Amherst led 3-1.

Almost halfway into the third period, the purple and white tallied a fourth goal. Toupal added her second of the game with 13 minutes of regulation. Trinity answered quickly, however, and added a second goal of their own to cut the deficit to 4-2.

Trinity, desperate for goals, pulled their goalie with about eight minutes to play. Amherst took advantage of the open net opportunity, as Toupal added her third and final goal of the game. The sophomore’s hat trick brought the score to 5-2 in favor of the purple and white.

Again, Trinity was quick to respond. The Bantams put the puck past Dobbins just 18 seconds after Toupal’s, bringing the game within two goals once more.

In another attempt to tighten the game, the Bantams pulled the goalie to gain an attacker. Again, the purple and white capitalized on the empty net.

Brenna Sullivan ’18 shot from center ice and notched the final goal of the game, securing the Amherst win.

“Getting another chance at Trinity so early in the season was a great way for us to make up for last year,” Caroline Bomstein ’16 said. “We showed incredible resilience, especially coming into Saturday after such a close game Friday.”

Amherst returns to play Wednesday, Dec. 9 for its home opener. The purple and white will face Norwich University at Orr Rink. The seniors hope to beat the Cadets, as they have not yet done so during their careers at Amherst thus far.

They will travel to Boston on Friday, Dec. 11 to play UMass-Boston, and will return home the next day to host Salve Regina on Saturday, Dec. 12.