Women’s Track Competes at NEICAAA Champs, Hensley Sets School Record

Last weekend, the Amherst women’s track and field team competed in the two-day NEICAAA Championships at Boston University last Friday and Saturday.

On Friday, Amherst had two runners featured in the preliminaries of the 400-meter dash. Both senior Victoria Hensley and first-year Julia Asin competed in the event. Hensley finished with a time of 58.45 seconds and Asin with a time of 59.45.

Hensley’s time broke the indoor school record for the 400-meter dash previously held by All-American Naomi Bates ’14 with a time of 58.61.

“I was very excited when I found out I broke the record, I just had to to give it my all and put everything I had into that race,” Hensley said. She also acknowledged that she did not get to this point alone. “Track is an individual sport, but I wouldn’t be where I am without the motivation and support from all my teammates,” she said. “And also my family because I know they’re always rooting for me even when they’re far away.”

Rounding out this weekend’s action was sophomore Leonie Rauls, who finished the 1,000-meter run with a time of 2:59.65 that was good for ninth place, narrowly missing the cut for the finals on Saturday morning.
The purple and white will return to action this coming weekend when the squad competes at the ECAC Championships on Saturday, March 5.