Women’s Hockey Hopes to Build on Last Year’s Success
Clarus Studios
Forward Katie Savage ’19 returns this season with 16 points. She will be looking to be a consistent scorer for the Mammoths this season.

After finishing 14-8-5 and advancing to the NESCAC championship game, the Amherst women’s ice hockey team is poised to rise to the top of the conference yet again. After falling for the second consecutive year in the NESCAC final to Middlebury, this year the Mammoths will seek to reclaim the coveted title.
The Mammoths return plenty of strong veterans, including last year’s leading scorer Alex Toupal ’18, who garnered several honors last year for her outstanding play, including First Team All-NESCAC, NEHWA All-Star and CCM Second-Team All-American.

Toupal posted 19 goals and 11 assists on the season for a total of 30 points and proved to be an nightmare for opposing defenses last season. Coming into her final year at Amherst, Toupal will surely continue her dominance.
Junior Katie Savage should also be a dangerous offensive threat, having totaled 20 points on eight goals and 12 assists to claim the second most in points on the team.

“We really want it this year, and I think we have the talent and the drive to back that up this season,” Savage said. “Despite graduating six seniors last spring, we have a strong group of returners this year. I’m looking forward to our first game against Conn. [College], and I know everyone on the team is super excited because we think this will be a special year.”
Assistant Coach Madeline Tank will join the coaching staff as a former four-year standout on the Mammoths, having graduated in 2015. As a former two-sport athlete, she also coached field hockey this fall with Head Coach Carol Knerr and hopes to add a bevy of knowledge and charisma to the Mammoth bench.
“Our new assistant [coach] Madeline Tank will add so much to the team, and I know I’ll have a lot to learn from her,” Savage said.

In addition to the potent Amherst offense, the team boasts several defensive stalwarts as well. With strong senior goaltenders Sabrina Dobbins and Bailey Plaman competing for the starting spot, the Mammoths will be in good hands.
Dobbins boasts an outstanding 0.941 save percentage, while Plaman was just below with a 0.940 save percentage. This security between the pipes will surely give Amherst room to open up its game offensively with the knowledge that the defense will hold down the fort.

Sophomore defender Anne Malloy will anchor the defense and provide some much-needed toughness to a defense that is sure to be a key component of this year’s team. She will be joined by promising young defender Mia Delrosso ’21, who will look to start her first collegiate campaign on a positive note.
“We’ve been working especially hard all fall and we’re coming into the season with so much energy,” said Jamie McNamara ’20. “Our first-years are really talented.

“We’ve put a lot of time into discussing what’s going to put us in the best position and it’s all about loving the process more than anything. If we maintain this focus and enthusiasm, we’re going to have a really successful season.”
The Mammoths will first take on the Conn. College Camels on Friday, Nov. 17 at 7 p.m. in their season opener. Amherst will seek to avenge last year’s 1-0 loss and start this campaign off on the right foot.