AAS E-Board Candidate Statements

The Association of Amherst Students will have elections on April 6 for next year’s Executive Board. Amherst students will receive an email on April 6 with the link to cast votes. The following candidates will be on the ballot for the positions of president, vice president, treasurer, secretary and judiciary council chair, as will other candidates who did not submit statements but attended Speech Night on April 2.

President

Silvia Sotolongo ’19: Hi! I’m Silvia Sotolongo, Class of 2019, and I’m running for AAS President! Though the role for president is broad, I have some concrete ideas for how to better represent the student body.

My platform has five main points.
1. Attend faculty meetings and transmit information from faculty to students
2. Create traditions committee
3. E-board resource center office hours
4. Increase Wellness/Health Equity and Accessibility
5. Edit the JC Stand-by list in the AAS Constitution

Please check out my Facebook page or email me at ssotolongo19@amherst.edu to find out more about my platform. Vote Silvia Sotolongo for AAS President!

Jenine Shepard ’20: If elected, I’d love to focus on improving the way the administration handles mental health issues, improving accessibility, improving social life on campus through the implementation of traditions as well as review how lab courses are treated at Amherst College (whether they should be optional or the weighting of them changed). I believe that more discourse is needed amongst professors regarding the mental health issues students face. I look forward to working with students and student groups on campus regarding how they think I should go about improving accessibility. I hope I get the opportunity to serve you all.

Jake May ’19: Hello. My name is Jake May, and I am writing on behalf of my good friend, Nate Light. When I signed on to the Light campaign, I was quite excited. Nate is the smartest, brightest and most intelligent person I have ever met. However, once I agreed to work with Nate, it became clear that we were not on the same page. I’d ask him: “Nate, what is your platform?” And he’d say: “Remember the Three C’s, Jake!” But he refuses to tell me what those Three C’s are. He insists that everyone should know them. Anyway vote Nate Light.

Vice President

Louis Briones ’19: Hello! My vision for the AAS as its Vice President is to better advocate for YOU, the students, and address YOUR needs. I have come to know the ins-and-outs of the AAS as a Senator and understand how it can improve student and campus life. For example, on the Val Dining Committee we have increased Grab-N-Go options. On the Orientation Committee, I worked for Orientation Leaders to get the pay they rightfully deserved. I will bring this experience to the AAS VP role and ensure that all student voices are equally represented. Please vote Louis Briones for AAS VP!