Nestled in the heart of Los Angeles, an inconspicious building disguises a network that is changing the lives of people across Los Angeles and the rest of the United States. Co-founded by Madeline Janis ’82, the Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy (LAANE) fights for Los Angeles’ working poor to receive better wages and working conditions, and has been a model for organizations across the country to effectively fight for substantive policy changes for workers.

The Amherst women’s tennis team concluded the fall portion of its 2015-16 campaign this week at the NEWITT Invitational, hosted by Smith College. The Jeffs will head into winter training with confidence after successful results from many of their doubles teams this weekend.

The Amherst women’s tennis team traveled to Vermont this weekend for the Middlebury Invitational, a tournament that promised strong competition from NESCAC rivals. After a dual match loss to Williams last weekend, the team bounced back in its penultimate tournament of the fall season. Amherst earned a series of convincing victories along with a few narrow losses across singles and doubles action.

The Amherst women’s tennis team traveled out to Williams this weekend to play its first dual match of the 2015-2016 campaign, hoping to break the Ephs’ win streak in the last five matchups against the Jeffs. Though the team was unable to overcome Williams this time around, Amherst showed areas in which they might be able to outmatch their rivals in the next matchup.

The Amherst women’s tennis team traveled to Middlebury this past weekend for the USTA/ITA regional championships, their first extended tournament of the fall season. With strong showings from both veterans and first-years, the team picked up some big wins over the course of the weekend.

After securing a third-place finish at the spring national championships, the Amherst women’s tennis team returns this fall as a forced to reckoned with.

With a depth of strong players in every class contributing last year in the Jeffs’ top spots, the team seems to be in a good position to continue their momentum and perhaps even take down their archrival Williams, last year’s national champion.

If you found yourself in Frost Cafe the morning I sat down to interview Kyra Ellis-Moore, you would have observed a seemingly constant stream of people giving her a quick wave and a smile as they walked by. You would have seen how engaged she was in our conversation, how much she listened and thought about each question I posed for her. You might have been amazed, as I was, that she was somehow able to listen intently and speak from the heart during our one-on-one conversation, while simultaneously showing the same attentiveness to everyone passing by.

Pages