Women’s Hockey Tops Williams At Pink in the Rink

The atmosphere was electric in Orr Rink on Saturday afternoon as the Amherst Women’s Hockey team topped Williams, 4-2, in the team’s inaugural Pink in the Rink game to raise money for the fight against breast cancer. The Jeffs scored a decisive victory on Friday evening as well, downing the Ephs, 7-2. The weekend sweep marked Amherst’s 14th consecutive win against their rival.

Amherst (10-7-1, 8-3-1 NESCAC) had an explosive first period on Friday night, tallying their first goal just four minutes into the game on close-range shot from Anne Gillard ’15. Five minutes later, sophomore Tori Salmon gave the Jeffs a two-goal lead on an unassisted goal from the outside.

The Jeffs kept up the pressure on a power-play opportunity just two minutes after Salmon’s goal as Megan Doyen ’13 finished off a shot from fellow captain Geneva Lloyd ’13 to put Amherst ahead, 3-0. The goal marked Doyen’s ninth of the year and Lloyd’s 11th assist.

With 4:31 left to play in the first, Gillard rounded out the Jeff’s explosive opening with her second goal of the night and third of the year. A breakaway attempt from Salmon was saved by Eph goalie Chloe Billadeau ’15, but sophomore Madeline Tank took advantage of the rebound to find Gillard in close range.

Billadeau stalled the Jeffs in the opening minutes of the second period with several impressive saves, but a slap shot from Barrett McBride ’14 gave Amherst a comfortable 5-0 lead with 13 minutes left in the frame. With just over a minute remaining in the second, Emily Flom ’15 added her fourth goal of the year on an unassisted dangle from the left side.

Amherst entered the third with a six-goal advantage, but Williams managed to score on a power play in the first two minutes to end the shutout.

Trying to regain momentum, the Ephs added another power play goal with just over three minutes left in the game to cut the Jeffs’ lead to four.

Amherst had the last word, however, as Lloyd tallied a power-play goal with help from Salmon with just 1:17 remaining. The goal marked Lloyd’s 10th of the season and Salmon’s 14th assist, each topping the list in their respective stats.

Salmon’s helper capped off a four-point performance on the night, as the sophomore finished with one goal and three assists. Kerri Stuart ’14 had an impressive night in goal, stopping 24 shots in the Jeffs’ decisive 7-2 victory.

On Saturday afternoon Amherst kicked off its first-ever Pink in the Rink game to support the fight against breast cancer, raising more than $1,500 for the American Cancer Society through a raffle, bake sale and other donations. The Jeffs showed their support with pink tape, pink laces and even pink hair ties as they brought down rival Williams, 4-2, to complete the weekend sweep.

Amherst came out strong again in the first period, notching back-to-back short-handed goals within two minutes of each other. Courtney Baranek ’14 struck first on the heels of a Williams 5-on-3, picking off a pass for an unassisted breakaway goal. Two minutes later the Jeffs were down another skater, but a fast-paced give-and-go from Lloyd and McBride gave the home team a two-goal lead and Lloyd her 11th goal of the season.

Entering the second period on a power play, the Jeffs capitalized on the opportunity just 48 seconds into the frame with their third goal of the contest.

Lloyd started the play by sending one in to Salmon on the left post, who then fired a quick pass to Doyen to help her notch the game-winner. Williams broke the shutout at the 11:15 mark with a goal from Samantha Cutts ’15 to stay within striking distance.

The Ephs looked threatening to start third period, eventually drawing within one with just over eight minutes remaining. Looking for an equalizer, Williams pulled goalie Rachel Nguyen ’14 with 1:18 left in the game, but an empty-net goal from Baranek solidified the Amherst victory.

The Jeffs are now tied with No. 8-ranked Bowdoin for second in the NESCAC league, following behind No. 6-ranked Middlebury. On Wednesday, Amherst will seek revenge against No. 4 Norwich at home in a rare mid-week, non-conference match-up. When the two teams met in January, Norwich pulled away with a close 2-1 win. Start time is set for 7 p.m. in Orr Rink.