Men's Golf Starts Season Off Strong at Trinity

Coming off an impressive spring season, the Amherst men’s golf team got off to a promising start to its fall 2013 season at the Trinity Invitational this past weekend. Placing second of nine teams overall, the Jeffs wasted no time proving that they are ready to compete. Junior Josh Moser led the Jeffs with a two-round score of 151, followed by senior captain Nicholas Koh with a two-round score of 155. The two upperclassmen finished fifth and ninth overall, respectively.

Koh has high hopes for the Jeffs, saying, “I think our team did really well this weekend given we are such a young team. We were in a razor-thin one-stroke lead after day one, which was a new experience for us. Ultimately, we came in second behind Trinity, but after our performance, we’re starting to believe that we can hang there right with the best schools in the NESCAC and bring the fight to Williams, Middlebury and Trinity.”

The Jeffs’ underclassmen also started the season strong. Jarvis Sill ’15, James Line ’16, and Harrison Marick ’17 all contributed to the team score by improving on their day one scores on Sunday. Line’s six-stroke improvement between day one and two was impressive.

“I wasn’t very happy with my score on day one, but the rest of the team played well and put us in a good position,” Line said. “So on day two I just tried to play more consistently and post a good score, but unfortunately we came up a little short. Still, I think it’s a strong start to the season and I think we have room to improve.”

Coach Jack Arena, entering his 20th season as head coach, added, “We played well this weekend. It was a good start to the season and I hope it reflects our depth. As well as we played, I’m confident there is room for improvement which we’ll need as the fall season progresses.”

Next weekend, the Jeffs will head to the second of their five-tournament season at Middlebury for the Duke Nelson Tournament.