The Amherst track & field teams were the only Div. III teams competing at the UMass Invitational this past Saturday, where the women placed eighth out of 11 teams and the men took seventh.

The women were led by senior, NESCAC Performer of the Week, Naomi Bates, who finished first in the 200m dash and third in the 100m. Bates was joined in the 100m by teammate Karen Blake ’17 who finished fourth.

Taylor Summers ’16 won the women’s long jump with a leap of 5.04m, as the Amherst women’s track & field team opened its outdoor season at Tufts on March 29, finishing sixth out of 24 schools. The men’s team placed 19th out of 26 teams to open their spring season as well.

Summers placed first out of 27 competitors in the long jump, while teammate Louise Atadja ’16 took 11th. On the men’s side, Khalil Felmming ’16 placed 11th as well with a jump of 6.14m.

The Amherst women’s basketball team’s quest for a 2014 NCAA Championship ended on Friday, March 14 in an overtime loss to Ithaca. Although the Jeffs beat Itacha in the regular season, Amherst fell just three points short in a hard fought battle.

Amherst controlled the game early, finding themselves up 25-13 in the middle of the first half. However, Ithaca battled back going on a 12-6 spurt and reduced the deficit to 31-25 with six minutes left in the first.

The Amherst women’s basketball team walked out of this past weekend with two NCAA wins under their belts, paving the way for Sweet Sixteen competition. Playing Springfield on Saturday and Hartwick on Sunday, sophomore Marley Giddins posted a double-double in both games, leading the Jeffs to victory.

In Saturday’s 63-49 win over Springfield, Giddins received help from first-year Ali Doswell, who also scored in double digits with 16 points. Haley Zwecker ’16 and Jaimie Renner ’17 added seven points and six points, respectively, while both Jeffs grabbed six boards.

The Amherst women’s basketball team fell short of another NESCAC title, losing to Tufts 62-46 in the NESCAC Championship this past Sunday. Even with the loss, the Jeffs will continue their season in the first round of the NCAA Tournament after receiving an at-large bid. Despite the gut-wrenching end to the regular season, Amherst still proved to be a team to watch with their decisive victory over Bowdoin in the NESCAC Semifinals.

The second-seeded Amherst women’s basketball team found an easy victory over Hamilton this past weekend in the NESCAC Quarterfinals. With the win, the Jeffs improved their home win streak to 98 games.

Amherst held Hamilton to a 22.9 percent shooting average, while they shot an impressive 57.1 percent, including 15 three pointers.

The Amherst women’s basketball team cruised past NESCAC rival Middlebury with an easy 79-41 win over the weekend.
The victory extended their win streak over the Panthers to 11, dating back to the 2002-03 season. Ending the regular season 9-1 in the NESCAC, the Jeffs secured the No. 2 seed heading into this weekend’s NESCAC Quarterfinals.

Pages