Women’s Soccer Suffers Two Heart Breaking Losses
Photo courtesy of Rob Mattson
Quinn Phillips '17 has eight points on the season with two goals and four assists.

Despite a 10-save effort from junior goalkeeper, Holly Burwick, Amherst (11-3-0) fell to NESCAC rival Connecticut College (11-2-0). A goal by Annie Higgins in the 53rd minute was just enough to boost the Camels to victory.

Although both teams failed to convert in the first half, Conn. owned the shot advantage, edging the Jeffs 9-7. The Camels broke the scoring drought early in the second half when Annie Higgins corralled a through ball from Michelle Medina and delivered a shot into the left corner for what would be the only goal of the game.

The Jeffs struggled to put the ball in the net. First-year Meredith Manley blasted two of the five shots on goal in the first half alone, while Jessy Hale ’16, Hannah Guzzi ’18 and Delancey King ’18 also delivered one shot apiece throughout the game.

“It was a tough game for us to lose in scrappy weather conditions, and it ended up going in their favor,” said junior forward Megan Kim. “They’re a great team, and I hope that we can face them again in the tournament for a second chance.”
Burwick exhibited another impressive defensive effort for the Jeffs. She made six of her 10 saves in the first 45 minutes of play and contributed four more in the second half.

Amherst fell in another closely contested game on Tuesday, Oct. 28.
The game remained scoreless through two overtime periods, but Trinity ultimately prevailed, scoring in the 104th minute.

The Jeffs held the advantage in shots in the game, boasting 16 to the Bantams 13, and also edged in corners, 8-3, but ultimately fell short in their efforts.

Burwick had another strong showing in net, making three saves in the contest.

Still boasting a 7-3-0 record in NESCAC play, Amherst remains in the hunt for playoff victories.

On Saturday, Nov. 1st, they will kickoff post-season action as they host the quarterfinals of the NESCAC tournament. The game time is tentatively set for 12:30 p.m.