The Amherst women’s soccer team captured a win in the first round of the NCAA tournament before suffering a season-ending loss to 11th-ranked Brandeis University (15-2-4) in a game that was decided in penalty kicks. The purple and white conclude the 2015 season ranked 16th in the nation and with an overall record of 11-3-3.

“I feel extremely fortunate to have played with this team,” captain Jessy Hale ’16 said. “Every player brought something different on the field, but more importantly for our team chemistry. This truly is a special group that was a privilege to be a part of.”

On the road this weekend, the 19th-ranked women’s soccer team (8-2-2) notched their fifth shutout on the year in a 2-0 victory over last-ranked Colby College before playing the 7th-ranked Bates College to a 0-0 draw.

After 44 scoreless minutes, the Jeffs were the first to break the deadlock. Senior Rachael Abernethy found her way behind the Mules defense and forced the Mules keeper to be charged with an interference call in a desperate attempt to prevent an Amherst goal.

A scoreless second half and double-overtime resulted in a draw for the 19th-ranked women’s soccer team (6-2-1 overall, 3-2-1 in conference) in its matchup against NESCAC opponent Hamilton (3-4-1, 2-3-1).

The Continentals, who are tied for fifth in the NESCAC, jumped out to an early 1-0 lead. Just 18 minutes into action, Hamilton’s Ali Clark collected the ball inside the box and blasted a shot between the posts.

The Amherst College women’s soccer team (5-1-0) suffered its first lost of the season last weekend in an away matchup against conference archrival Williams (6-0-0). The Jeffs wrapped up their weekend with a decisive 3-0 win over Wheaton College (6-3) at home.

With 17 seconds remaining in Saturday’s contest, Amherst College forward Emily Hester ’17 notched the game-winning goal to lift the Jeffs (4-0-0) to a 2-1 victory over conference rival Middlebury (1-1-1). With the win, the undefeated Jeffs captured their third conference win of the year.

The 18th-ranked Amherst women’s soccer team kicked off to a strong start capturing a victory in their season opener in an away matchup against Mount Holyoke College and then returning to home action to defeat NESCAC opponent Bowdoin and Springfield College.

At Mount Holyoke, Amherst dominated play, controlling possession of the ball and tempo of play. Mount Holyoke, however, was the first to slot the ball between the posts when Ashleigh Hartsock connected on an assist from Sara Sanau Ruiz in the 17th minute of action.

After finishing the 2014 season with a 12-5-1 overall record and a 7-3 mark in conference play, the Amherst women’s soccer team will kick off its 2015 season effort with a non-conference matchup against Mount Holyoke on Tuesday, Sept. 8.

Pages