Don Faulstick Appointed to Athletic Director Position

Don Faulstick has been appointed the college’s next athletic director, President Biddy Martin announced last week. The decision follows an extensive selection process by a search committee headed by Psychology Professor Catherine Sanderson.

Faulstick began working for the college in 1997 as a softball coach. He has also served as the offensive coordinator and assistant coach for the football team, as well as associate director of athletics. Faulstick has been the college’s interim athletic director since February 2014, when former athletic director Suzanne Coffey took on the Chief Student Affairs Offier position.

Over the course of Faulstick’s career, he has overseen a record-breaking offensive line, which led the NESCAC in scoring offense in 2010 and 2011. He also oversaw the renovation of Pratt Field from 2012 through 2013.

“I believe that with this appointment, Don Faulstick is able to continue the programs and policies he has already begun to implement and seem to be working well, but also is more fully empowered to make changes he’d like to see in the Athletics Department,” Sanderson said.

Faulstick said that he wants to use his position to reach out to intramural and club sports teams, and thereby help solve what is widely perceived as a social divide between athletes and non-athletes.

“I think part of the divide can be addressed by making sure that students who are in club and intramural sports, who are active, but might not think that the gym is so welcoming – we can do a better job by putting more emphasis on those programs,” he said. “I think that could be a really good start.”

Another one of Faulstick’s goals is to expand the college’s athletic facilities. He feels that the current facilities are outdated to meet the needs of the college’s students. Improvements to the athletics facilities would also be intended to break the social divide between athletes and non-athletes.

“On a campus of our size, I think it’s important that everyone’s together, and everybody’s welcome, and it shouldn’t matter whether you’re a varsity athlete, a club sport athlete or just somebody who wants to work out,” he said. “Having a space large enough that everyone can get together, see each other, and socialize, would be great.”

Faulstick spoke about his prior experience as offensive coordinator for the football team and the positive impact that it will have on his leadership.

“I think a big part of my leadership style is about teamwork, and football’s a great team game. It’s a sport where all eleven guys have to be on the same page, and that’s what I think is really helpful,” he said. “Coaching a larger team has given me some skills and tools that I can carry over to be a good administrator. I learned a long time ago that great things can happen as long as no one cares who gets the credit. That’s how I’d like our department to be run.”

Jake Pagano ’18 contributed reporting.