Michael Kunichika is an associate professor of Russian. He completed his undergraduate study at Reed College, where he majored in Russian. He went on to get his doctorate in Slavic languages and literatures with a designated emphasis on film studies from the University of California, Berkeley.

Brendan Seto ’18 is a statistics major. His thesis focuses on causal inference. His thesis advisor is Professor of Statistics Nicholas Horton.

The Amherst College Belonging Committee released the Strategic Plan to Increase Belonging that will be shared with the Amherst community on Wednesday Feb. 28. The plan was shared with Student Affairs, the Senior Leadership team, the Office of Diversity and Inclusion and the Presidential Task Force on Diversity and Inclusion earlier this month to obtain feedback.

The college has been awarded a $500,000 Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship (MMUF) Program grant. The grant was gifted to the college by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and will help fund an initiative to help underrepresented groups pursue graduate studies in the humanities.

Dan Langa ’18 is a music major. For his thesis he composed an original score for the film “The Passion of Joan of Arc.” His thesis was performed at the Buckley Recital Hall on Feb. 2. His advisor is Lecturer in Music Ryan Vigil from the University of New Hampshire.

Ewa Nowicki assumed the role of the college’s new registrar on Jan. 8, according to an email announcement sent by Dean of the Faculty Catherine Epstein to the college community on Jan. 5.

The search committee for the new registrar was impressed “with the skills and experience that Ewa will bring to her important role at the college, her dedication to the liberal arts mission and her commitment to the equity and inclusion of underrepresented communities in higher education,” Epstein wrote.

Kristen Gardner is an assistant professor of computer science. She completed her undergraduate study in computer science at Amherst College and holds a master’s and doctoral degrees from Carnegie Mellon.

Pages