Radcliffe Bailey is an American artist based in Atlanta, who is especially known for his mixed-media, painting and sculpture work that centers around African-American history. One of his pieces, “Seven Steps East,” is currently on display at the Mead Museum as a part of the “HOUSE” exhibition. Bailey visited campus recently, and The Student had a chance to interview him.

Rebecca Ford ’18 is a double major in Black Studies and English, concentrating in carceral studies and diasporic movements of resistance and revolution. Outside of class, she is a member of African and Carribean Student Union Dance and is an academic intern for the African American Dance Symposium this semester. She is also working on a play about the life of Fred Hampton, a Black Panther. For her Senior Capstone presentation she read two chapters from the book she has been writing as a special topics course.

On Feb. 8, “HOUSE,” the Mead Art Museum’s main exhibition for the spring and summer, will open to the public. The exhibition features 58 pieces of art that vary in media, size and country of origin, but are unified in subject matter. All of the works come from the collection of John Wieland ’58 and his wife, Sue Wieland, who began collecting art together over 50 years ago.

It’s a new year and that means one thing: new TV shows to binge. Although 2018 may initially seem to be a disappointment to TV fans — it’s the first year since 2011 without a new season of “Game of Thrones” and fan-favorite “Stranger Things” also won’t be on the air — there are many shows that will return this year for viewers to look forward to. Here are four you should not miss.

“Jane the Virgin” Season 4B
Release Date: Jan. 26
Available On: The CW

Family Weekend, Nov. 3-5, is almost upon us, and although Amherst has many activities to keep everyone entertained, your family may want to see more of the area than what exists on campus. Take advantage of having a car at your disposal by checking out these spots.

Montague Bookmill
15 miles from campus
440 Greenfield Rd, Montague, Mass.

Returning to school after a relaxing summer break is hard, and it can be easy to let the healthy practices you developed over the summer fall to the wayside once you’re back on campus. That’s where your phone comes in to save the day. With engaging graphics and daily challenges, these apps may feel like games but they can make a huge difference in encouraging you to keep healthy habits and maybe even avoid the next campus wide cold.