Dean of the Faculty Catherine Epstein announced the college’s plan to host students from Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands affected by Hurricane Maria on Wednesday, Nov. 14 in a community-wide email.

In this upcoming spring semester, she said, a limited number of students whose studies were disrupted by the hurricane will come to the college for one semester of study.

Matthew Chow ’18 is an English and economics double major. His thesis examines the intersection of the Christian gospel and Shakespeare’s tragedies. His advisor is Professor Anston Bosman in the English Department.

Jeffrey C. Hall ’67 received the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine on Oct. 2 along with two other scientists, Michael Rosbash and Michael Young, for their discoveries of molecular mechanisms controlling the circadian rhythm.

“The paradigm-shifting discoveries by the laureates established key mechanistic principles for the biological clock,” wrote the Nobel Prize committee in a press release. As a result of the work by Hall’s team, “circadian biology has developed into a vast and highly dynamic research field.”

Olufemi O. Vaughan is an Alfred Sargent Lee ’41 and Mary Farley Ames Lee Professor of Black Studies. He attended St. John’s University, where he received his bachelor’s degree in politics and government. He received his doctorate in politics with historical components from Oxford University.

Following a leadership transition of the college-affiliated Book & Plow Farm from founders Pete McLean and Tobin Porter-Brown to former assistant manager Maida Ives at the end of last semester, the farm has undergone some changes and has new plans for the future.

The changes and transition to “Book & Plow 2.0,” along with letters outlining the farm’s previous history and future goals by Tobin, Porter-Brown, Ives and Director of Sustainability Laura Draucker, were published on the college’s website.

Raheem Jackson ’17 is a black studies and sociology double major. His thesis examines black masculinity, specifically in female-headed households. His advisers are Professors of Black Studies John Drabinski and Rhonda Cobham-Sander.

Haram Hwang ’17 is an anthropology major. Her thesis examines child-rearing and its relation to feminism and neoliberalism in Lepan, a rural village in Yucatan, Mexico. Her advisor is Professor Vanessa Fong in the anthropology department.

Pages