I first met Trevor Hyde at practices for the William Lowell Putnam Competition, an annual intercollegiate math competition in which math students from around the country compete for scholarship prizes. I’d done math competitions before, but Hyde assured me that this one was different. Scored out of 120 points (10 for each of 12 questions), it is administered over a six-hour period, three hours in the morning and three hours in the afternoon on the day of the test. The median score out of 120 is usually between zero and two points.

This past Thursday marked the most recent installment of what has become a long-standing Amherst College tradition, the Hawaiian Luau in Valentine Dining Hall. While on the schedule this event might have looked much like another event in Val’s World Cuisine series, the posters that were put up warning students that Val would close at 1:30 p.m. after lunch Thursday afternoon to prepare for dinner set this one apart.

Robert Suits ’12
Major: Music
Thesis Advisor: Eric Sawyer

Tell be about your thesis.

Basically, it’s a senior thesis in music composition; it’s your basic cut-and-dried music composition thesis. I ended up writing six pieces, nominally a song cycle. And then ended up organizing rehearsals for that and performing it on Feb. 12.

Who were you writing for?

Rose Larios ’12
Major: Biology
Thesis Advisor: Ethan Temeles

What’s your thesis about?

Jeremy Koo ’12
Major: Music
Thesis Advisor: Eric Sawyer

Tell me about your thesis project.

ARENA of El Salvador Regains a Majority

Economics Professor Brian Bethune received his Masters of Arts in Economics from McMaster Univ. He holds a doctorate in international economics from the Graduate Institute at Univ. of Geneva. He has taught at Concordia Univ. in Montreal, Canada and has experience in commercial banking and macroeconomic consulting.

What brought you to Amherst?

Pages