Men’s Tennis Heads to NESCAC Tournament After Williams Loss
Rob Mattson
Aaron Revzin ’16 added a victory to the Amherst total this weekend against Williams when he swept his opponent on the number three singles court.

On Saturday, April 20, Amherst traveled to Williamstown, Massachusetts to take on No. 9 ranked Williams. The purple and white put up an admirable fight, but ended up suffering a heartbreaking 5-4 loss at the hands of their archrivals.
The purple and white put on a promising performance on the singles courts, winning three of six after picking up victories on courts two, three and four.

On the number two singles court, first-year Zach Bessette outlasted his opponent in three sets (6-3, 6-7(0-3), 6-0) in order to earn a victory for the purple and white.

Senior Aaron Revzin also picked up a victory on the third singles court, with a painless 6-1, 6-4 sweep over his opponent.
On the fourth singles court, Amherst once again took the match, this time thanks to a hard-faught battle by senior Ben Fife. Fife came back from a one-set deficit to post a 3-6, 6-2, 6-4 victory.

Although the purple and white split the singles matches with Williams, they were unable to pull away on the doubles courts. The pair of Revzin and senior Michael Solimano won 8-4 on the first doubles court, getting the Amherst squad off to a good start.

Unfortunately, Williams earned victories on both the second and third courts in order to seal the defeat for Amherst.
For their next meet on May 6-8, the purple and white will travel to Bates in Lewiston, Maine in order to compete in the NESCAC men’s tennis championships. Amherst is slated for a rematch of last weekend’s heartbreaking loss when they face the Ephs once again in the first round of postseason action.

“We are definitely looking forward to the challenge,” first-year Jesse Levetin said. “They’ve beaten us twice in a row now, so we are hungry and ready to go take care of business.”