In “Between the World and Me,” Ta-Nehisi Coates claims that America was “built on looting and violence.” If this is indeed the case, then the nation has returned to its roots.

When we watch videos from Charlottesville and see white supremacists in militant formations, a few questions come to mind: Do they know who Hitler was, and what he did? Have they always lived their lives with a sense of immunity?

Gabriella Espinosa ’16 is a religion major. Her thesis explores the devotional practices of the internationally recognized guru Amma (Mata Amritanandamayi) and considers their appeal to transnational communities. Her adviser is Professor Maria Heim.

Valentine Dining Hall introduced a three-week trial program that offers a limited menu on weekdays from 2 to 4:30 p.m. During these expanded hours, the dining hall will open the salad bar, deli, cereal bar, desserts and beverages to students. The program officially began on Monday, April 11.

Students on the meal plan can now swipe into Valentine between 11 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. or eat once at Grab-N-Go, which continues to operate from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. On the first day of the trial period, 72 students swiped into the dining hall between 2:30 and 4 p.m.

Christena Cleveland, social psychologist and associate professor of the practice of reconciliation at Duke University’s Divinity School, delivered a series of lectures at Amherst College on March 3 and 4.

Donna Brazile, political strategist and the Vice Chair of Voter Registration and Participation of the Democratic National Committee, gave a talk titled “Race and Politics in America: The Past and 2016” in Stirn Auditorium on Feb. 18.

The event was funded by the Croxton Lecture Fund, which was established to bring renowned speakers to campus. The lecture was part of a series of events hosted by the college in honor of Black History Month.

Bob Neel ’16 double majors in religion and political science. His thesis examines the emergence and evolution of anti-LGBT legislation in the Anglo-Caribbean, and it looks at the strategies of grassroots LGBT-rights activism therein the region. His thesis adviser is Professor Javier Corrales from the political science department.

Daria Chernysheva is an English major writing a thesis on the early translations of Shakespeare from French into Russian. As a sophomore, Chernysheva studied as a Folger Shakespeare Library fellow, which sparked her interest in Shakespeare’s emergence in imperialist Russia. Her thesis adviser is Professor Anston L. Bosman.

Pages