After a three-year hiatus from Pratt Pool, the Amherst Club Water Polo Team hosted the UMass, Williams, Tufts and U.S. Coast Guard Academy teams at a tournament this past weekend.

The tournament was in a round robin format with each of the five teams playing two games on Saturday and Sunday.
The Yo-Ho Penguins (the water polo team’s official mascot since 1984) are coming off of a second-place finish in last year’s edition of the North Atlantic Tourney.

Men
The Amherst men’s track and field team raced at the Div. III New England Championships this past weekend, finishing 12th out of 32 teams at the event. Led by senior captain Matt Melton, the Jeffs recorded 28 points.

Melton turned in the Jeffs’ best performance on the day, finishing runner-up in the 400 meters with a time of 48.86. He complemented this showing by placing fifth in the 200-meter dash.

Men

The men’s track and field team traveled to Colby this past weekend to compete in the NESCAC championships. Battling the elements, the Jeffs struggled to maintain the momentum they had gained the previous week at the Little Three Championships and took eighth place out of 11 teams with 31 points. Tufts took the conference crown by winning the meet with a score of 178.90.

Men
Looking to defend their home track, the men’s track team competed in the Little Three Championships against rivals Williams and Wesleyan. The men capped off a strong day by finishing with 128 points — good enough for second place.

“Williams historically wins, then Amherst, then Wesleyan — and this year, we came the closest to Williams that we have been since 2000, actually,” first-year Jamie Sandel commented.

The men’s Ultimate Frisbee team enters their spring season not only one of the top teams in the Northeast, but also in the country. They will look to prove that they belong this weekend as they travel to sunny Southern California to compete in a tournament in Riverside against other top Div. III teams.

The Amherst volleyball team had a very successful weekend after sweeping both Conn. College and Tufts in a pair of NESCAC matches.

“This was a huge weekend for the team in that we needed to win these two matches to put ourselves at the top of the NESCAC standings,” said Sammy Newby ’16.

Entering the weekend the Firedogs were 1-2 and in seventh place, but emerged from the weekend 3-2 and tied for fourth place in hot pursuit of NESCAC leader Williams.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m no fan of Lane Kiffin, but the way he was treated by USC athletic director Pat Haden is flat wrong. Getting fired after a 3-2 start at a football powerhouse is understandable, but not at 3 a.m., and not just after the team plane had landed at LAX.

Pages