Yes, adult TV shows and thought-provoking movies are absolutely fantastic, but occasionally it’s good to kick back with some good, nostalgia-inducing children’s television. Over the summer, I began watching two TV shows that have achieved significant popularity not only among their targeted demographic (actual children), but also among many cartoon-loving adults — and for completely legitimate reasons. Cartoon Network’s “Steven Universe” and Disney Channel’s “Gravity Falls” are some of the best shows out there right now, whether adults or children watch them.

After a couple singles and a few sold-out shows at Los Angeles club The Mint, Nina Shallman ’18 released her eponymous first album on Aug. 11.

I saw her perform live last semester at the Iron Horse Music Hall in Northampton and was amazed enough by her strong vocals and smooth music to write a glowing review. Much of my praise applies to her new album too. The album is a great show of her musical talent, a delightful treat and a pleasant listen; it’s a reminder that music was meant to decorate silence.

On Sunday, I was the recipient of a delightful, surprising treat. Nina Shallman ’18 performed a solo show at Northampton’s Iron Horse Music Hall. She performed 10 songs, some from her own repertoire, on piano and two types of ukuleles, alongside her cousin Aaron Blick on bass.

Amherst’s faculty held the Art Faculty Performance on April 19, showcasing the talents and professors in the Departments of Music, Film and Media Studies and Theater and Dance. Oftentimes students forget that professors too are creators so the performance was a welcome reminder that that once faculty members were students, working on their theses, projects, compositions, and today they continue to create new work. I found the faculty performances interesting, but I felt so out of my depth that I enjoyed them without knowing exactly what I was enjoying.

The Arts at Amherst Annual Spring Festival kicks off this Friday, April 10 with an opening reception at Arms Music Center, and continues for another nine days of arts-related events, concluding Sunday, April 19. The events range from student-led performances featuring the talents of Amherst College students to musical productions led by outside ensembles and a variety of film screenings.

The Amherst Symphony Orchestra and the Amherst College Choral Society performed a joint rendition of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s Great Mass in C minor, K.427 in Buckley Concert Hall on Saturday, March 7. The concert featured the Glee Club, Women’s Chorus, the Concert Choir, and the Amherst Symphony Orchestra. Mark Lane Swanson conducted, and six guest vocal soloists from the UMass vocal program were also present.

The evening was noteworthy both for the number of organizations and people involved and for the difficulty of the piece itself.

Since its founding in 1971 as a themed series of lectures, films, courses and theatrical performances, the Copeland Colloquium has sought to engage members of the Amherst College community uniquely and intentionally. This year, the Copeland Colloquium’s events have been centered around the theme of translation and its role in today’s culture. Last week, members of the Colloquium editorial board revealed a literary contest that had a cash prize of $200. The contest will be coordinated by the Copeland Colloquium alongside the student-run literary and arts magazine, Circus.

Pages