After a very successful regular season in which No. 2 nationally ranked Amherst went 19-4 (8-0 NESCAC), the top-seeded Jeffs were upended 5-2 in the NESCAC semifinals by archrival and fifth-seeded Williams at Middlebury on Saturday, May 2. The loss snapped a 10-match unbeaten streak for Amherst that dated back to Saturday, March 28. The team’s previous Division III defeat came against Pomona-Pitzer by a score of 6-3 on March 17.

The No. 4 Amherst men’s tennis team has now won 10 straight matches, all by a score of at least 7-2 following impressive victories over No. 20 Bates (8-1) and No. 6 Middlebury (9-0) at home this weekend.

The Jeffs (19-4) completed a perfect month of April in which they won all nine matches, which included seven victories in the competitive NESCAC conference to secure the regular season title. The Jeffs seem to be getting stronger as they approach the NESCAC tournament, having won the last five matches by at least an 8-1 score.

The Amherst men’s tennis team extended its unbeaten streak to eight matches with two more decisive victories this weekend. With identical 8-1 wins over No. 14 Williams and No. 22 Wesleyan, the Jeffs have secured their title as Little Three champions and now stand 17-4 overall (6-0 NESCAC).

The team hasn’t lost a contest to a Division III opponent since their spring break trip. Back on March 17, they lost 6-3 to Pomona-Pitzer. Over the course of their eight-game winning streak, the Jeffs have won by at least a 7-2 score in every match.

The fourth-ranked Amherst men’s tennis team continues to roll. The Jeffs picked up three more victories to extend their winning streak to six games, improving to 4-0 in the NESCAC and 15-4 overall. Their victories this past week against MIT, No. 23 Trinity and No. 8 Bowdoin were earned in convincing fashion. All six matches in the current winning streak have come by at least a 7-2 edge.

The defending national champion and No. 1 regionally and nationally ranked Amherst men’s tennis team returned to action over spring break, building on the successes of the fall season. As they have done for the last seven years now, the Jeffs traveled west to California for a demanding week that featured 10 matches in just six days. The tremendous depth and size of the team allowed them to play an incredible number of matches while still competing at a very high level.

Just a couple weeks ago I wrote about the “New Look Yankees”, who feature a roster without the likes of Robinson Cano, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada and Andy Pettitte.

Just this week, Rivera released an autobiography, entitled The Closer, chronicling both his personal life and baseball career. In his book, Rivera supposedly makes some critical remarks about some of his former teammates, including Robinson Cano — questioning his work ethic and passion for baseball.

The New York Yankees are still wearing the same classic pinstripes, but looking at the players sporting those jerseys doesn’t feel the same. The Yankees look different. The personnel has changed, and with it, so has the Yankees image.

No more Mariano Rivera. No more Robinson Cano. No more Andy Pettitte. These three players had become marquee, household names for the Yankees over the years. Cano departed for free agency, while Pettitte and Rivera headed for retirement after the 2013 season ended.

Pages