With a 20-7 victory at Williams on Saturday, the Amherst Football team ended their 2013 season in style, securing a share of the NESCAC Championship.

With only one loss on the season (7-1), the Jeffs finished tied with Middlebury and Wesleyan for the best record in the conference.

The Cardinals entered the weekend undefeated and had a chance to earn sole possession of the NESCAC title. Unfortunately for them, a loss at Trinity dropped them into three-way tie and allowed the Jeffs and Panthers to share the honor.

In a game with significant NESCAC Championship implications, Amherst football edged the Trinity Bantams 17-16 on Saturday to move to 6-1 on the season.

Playing at home with a large Family Weekend crowd on hand, the Jeffs’ defense came through in the clutch, making several important stops in the fourth quarter to seal the victory. The winning effort was aided by a missed Trinity extra point in the closing minutes of the fourth quarter that would have tied the game.

It has been a roller-coaster two weeks for Amherst Football. Riding high on the momentum of an undefeated record, the Lord Jeffs were given a harsh reality check two Saturdays ago. Playing host to Wesleyan, who also boasted a flawless 4-0 record, Amherst was handed a 20-14 defeat on Homecoming Day, dampening what should have been a celebratory mood.

Opening its season at Hamilton, Amherst’s football team got its 2013 campaign off to a solid start with a 23-7 victory on Saturday. Behind a staunch defensive performance, the Jeffs put together an impressive effort, never trailing and running away with a comfortable win.

Coming off a 6-2 season in 2012, Amherst fell short of its NESCAC title aspirations. The team was inexperienced at quarterback and wide receiver and, as a result, relied heavily on the running game. But that is all set to turn around this year.

Men
In their final event of the 2013 season, the Men’s golf team suffered a heartbreaking loss at the Little Three Championship last Wednesday.

Competing against Wesleyan and Williams in a distinctive one-day format, Amherst finished the day tied with their archrivals at six points apiece, but lost the title based on a tiebreaker. It was a disappointing finish for the Jeffs, who broke the Ephs’ 14-year Little Three winning streak last season and were looking to build a streak of their own.

Men’s

Behind a breakout performance from sophomore Jarvis Sill, the men’s golf team finished sixth at the Williams Spring Invitational last weekend.

Played at the Taconic Golf Club, cold and windy conditions prevailed in Williamstown. The par 71 course played very tough, as no player broke par on either day. The low score on Saturday was a 4-over 75, though the course was even harder on Sunday with the low posted at a 6-over 77.

Men

Travelling to UMass-Dartmouth, the men’s Golf team opened their spring season at the Hampton Inn Invitational this past weekend.

After a respectable fall campaign that saw the squad finish fifth at the NESCAC Qualifier, the Jeffs were looking to get their spring off to a solid start.

They faced a tall task, however, as they were without their top performer from the spring, Nicholas Koh ’14, who sat out this first event.

Pages