Picking up where they left off last year, the Jeffs once again captured the Ken Wright ’52 Memorial Invitational Championship with two convincing victories.

The Jeffs, who never trailed at any point over the weekend, defeated Newbury and Nichols, scoring a combined 213 points in the two victorious efforts.

Recently, it’s often been the case that the year’s biggest sports story is also the most unexpected — and the strangest. The thrill of a championship race or a historic individual performance can no longer satisfy America’s collective sports nation. Now, at every turn, we eagerly await scandal, shame and disgrace, as if that’s what sports is really all about to us. When it comes to sports, we are gluttons for the latest episode of moral turpitude.

As defending National Champions, the Jeffs picked up right where they left off on Saturday, earning a 96-78 road win against Brooklyn.

With six players in double figures, the Jeffs offered a preview of a multifaceted attack that they hope will carry them into contention for another title.

Amherst jumped out to an early 10-0 lead in the contest and was never seriously challenged; in the second half, they led by as much as 27 points.

There are few ways to diminish the accomplishments of the historic 2012-13 campaign that saw the Amherst men’s basketball team win it all.

The team won 24 straight contests to finish the year, the highlight of which was undoubtedly a thrilling, one-point win over Williams in the NESCAC Championship.

After another four wins in the NCAA tournament, their final victory, an 87-70 rout of Mary Hardin Baylor, was merely the icing on the cake.

Sunday, Oct. 13, 2013 wasn’t a day for the record books. Well, actually, it was — the Red Sox became the first team to be no-hit through five innings in consecutive playoff games. Even with that dubious footnote in sports history, however, that Sunday became a day unlike any other.

On the baseball field, Dave Jauss ’80 has seen it all. He’s coached the best players in the history of the game, and he’s been a part of magical playoff runs that have captivated the heart and soul of major American cities. Jauss’s journey to becoming the right-hand man of the sport’s best minds wasn’t easy, but his tenacity — along with the friends he made and the lessons he learned at Amherst College — helped to make it all possible.

The Student had the chance to catch up with Justin Serpone, the contagiously fiery men’s soccer coach who led the Jeffs to a NESCAC title last fall. His philosophy continues to pay dividends as his team, despite tremendous losses to graduation, is once again undefeated. Though he knows a thing or two about winning, Serpone is equally adept at putting people first.

Pages